Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Running Partners

I was running recently with my running guru (this is his new nickname after our last run together) in preparation for our half marathon in May. We meet to run on Saturday mornings. We did a run that was just over five miles and we talked about many things on that run. It dawned on me during that time that while running and conversing with him I never thought of any pain or my desire to quit running (this is my normal thought process while running by myself, usually starting as soon as I lace up the sneakers). I realized that Bill was my running guru at that time because through the nature of the topics he kept bringing up he was taking my mind off of my pain. Though this was most likely just him being friendly on the run and not wanting to listen to my weezing the whole time but I have come to view it as his master plan to help me stay focused on the completion of my running.
There is a profoundly spiritual principle here. Life is like a running a marathon and it can be tough and we can often want to quit. Who is your guide, your guru or just a friend staying beside you along the journey? The author to the book of Hebrews said it like this:
"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart".
In otherwords Jesus is our guide. This is a call to look to Jesus Christ in the midst of our painful struggles and trials. It is to consider all that he went through for us and in doing so taking our minds off of the struggles that we are presently facing.
Along with this we must also remember the importance and value of the body of Christ here and now, meaning the loving touch and compassion of fellow believers. We have a role and responsibility to encourage and walk beside each other so that we can make it through the journey, "if one part suffers every part suffers with it, if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it" (1 Corinthians 12:26).
I think it is key that we find people who will help us stay focused on the goals we have set for our lives. It is important that we become this as well for others in our lives, to simply be available for those around us. It seems we are trained to give up so easily on people in our lives whether that be friends, family, or spouses. Rather, maybe we should be telling others both with our words and actions that I am here with you and I am not going anywhere. I will be your friend for this journey and go with you until the end.

No comments: