We are officially new home owners. I guess when we signed the papers a couple weeks ago we were official but getting all of our stuff in makes it feel real. We moved everything in Saturday morning with the help of family, friends and lots of trucks. My buddy kept saying the whole time, in between fistfulls of donughts that, "Sarah and I have too much stuff".
Moving is tough and there seems to always be a realization of how much stuff we have hidden away. (I only intended to update on the move but there is a spiritual point here I think as well) It is easy to hide stuff in our lives and tuck away baggage where we think no one will see it or find us out. There is a fear in being known but I think there is also a freedom in letting it all hang out, to just be me for all to see, the good, the bad and the ugly.
I listened to a great message yesterday from this past Sunday by Steve Carter from Mars Hill Bible Church, http://www.marshill.org/teaching/index.php. In Exodus 3:11-15, Moses killed an Egyptian man and buried him in the sand. Steve asked the question, "What do you have buried in the sand?" or for the context of this blog, what do you have hidden away in your closet that you pray no one will find out? In the story found in Exodus, Moses feared being found out and fled. It is easy to run away rather than face dealing with our stuff. Moses did come back and that must have been difficult.
We must do the same. I know it can be a struggle but we must be honest with ourselves about our own lives and in our relationship with God. Baggage adds up, hidden objects in the sands of our lives become uncovered and someone will find us out. There is possibly nothing more freeing than doing a little house cleaning in the hidden areas of our lives.
Wednesday, February 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment