I was looking back through my notes from the "Isnt She Beautiful" Conference I went to a few weeks ago and I was struck again with one particular quote. The quote was in essence that neither my kids nor my wife care how big my church is. Being at this conference was the first time I had been away from my wife and kids for that length of time (I know we are only talking a wopping three days but it was difficult). I realized leaving them and while I was there how much they mean to me and how often I neglect them by being away or even while I am at home being so distracted with the things that consume me.
I love this little church in this little community. I love our people and desire to serve and love them with the love of Christ. Sadly, though, I spend too much time growing a church and working to make us be something that my family doesnt really care about. They care about me, not me as a pastor but me as husband and daddy. I have nothing to prove to them, in fact, this is the truest place where I can simply just be me and am loved for that. I will work hard and for as long as God gives me, (retirement to spend time on me sounds too selfish to be biblical) but I will be working even harder to ensure that I do not ever neglect what is my most important time. The top of my schedule needs to be: Sarah, Maria and Hannah. I don't want to give them my leftovers but to give them my best quality time. I am working this year to find better time to get away from work (moving away from work and no church phone ringing in the house is a good start) and to simply be with my family. They need me and I need them.
Thursday, February 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment