Thursday, March 26, 2009

Why Ask Why?

I went to a retirement gathering of a lady I know from our local hospice program. The gathering was a time for her to share what she has learned in 30 some years of working in hospice. I found it fascinating to listen to someone who has shared in the lives of so many people during their last moments on this earth.
In the last six years or so I have volunteered with this hospice program as a spiritual care provider and have found that my life has been deepened so much by these experiences of kneeling by the bedside of people preparing to leave this earth. I love the folks I have met with hospice and see them as people who "run towards humanity" when so many run from it during these difficult times because they are uncomfortable or dont know what to say. In many ways our world is becoming so fast and technologically driven (not all bad) that it is losing or has lost the ability to connect with another individual eye ball to eye ball. Certainly, it seems that often we have lost this in terms of standing beside someone in need because it simply takes too much time. We need to run towards humanity, to help people in need and be willing to stand, walk, sit beside people as they experience difficulties that life brings.
My point though today is these difficulties and how we deal with them. I was challenged by a thought this lady gave at her retirement gathering. She said early on in her career having seen such difficulties she made a deal with God. The deal was that she would never ask God the "why" question as long as some day when she arrived in Heaven he would tell her. The "why" questions haunt so many of us especially with end of life issues and the trouble that life can bring. I thought that was good advice because wondering why can cause us so many problems and there really are no good answers. I wonder if we were given an answer to this question straight from God if it would even suffice in the middle of our trials? Would it bring us the comfort we desire?
I wonder further if all of this isnt really just a question of our faith in something bigger than ourselves, a faith in the God who made us? To ask why when experiencing suffering is a normal question but isnt it lacking trust in the one who made us and provides grace for each moment?
I dont know "why", but I want to learn to trust God each day, to lean on him in spite of the unknown, to be thankful and grateful for today and to know that maybe some day I will know why (by then I cant imagine that I will still even want to know).

No comments: